Okay, Folks. I don't know how many of you have butchered a pig yourselves. We haven't. We won't be able to say that after today! We were able to get a really good deal on 2 small pigs. They were already killed and gutted when Hubby went to pick them up last night. We left them out in his truck overnight to cool, and today we are spending the time cutting it up: hams, chops, ribs, roasts, and we borrowed an electric grinder for making sausage and burger!
So...we are learning a little bit of self-sufficiency on Sacred Heart Farm. It is nice to know that if we hunt or raise animals for meat, we know how to get it from the "hoof" to the table. I am pretty proud of hubby and his ability to jump in and do the hands on work of it all. So far we have processed deer, chickens, a turkey, and now pigs. I think I will come back and post a few photos...not for the faint of heart, haha. Wilber and Babe are heading to our freezer!
Karla,
ReplyDeleteI admire your self sufficiency skills!
We have friends who kill and butcher their own cows and pigs. It is quite normal to visit their house and discover a pig's head lying on the kitchen bench, together with huge blood covered knives!
I am not faint hearted. Post some photos! And enjoy your meat.