This is the room where we gather for prayer, and it makes it a little easier to keep our thoughts on God and Heaven. It is a peaceful spot, if a bit cluttered at times!
| This is a photo of our Home Altar |
| It is in our Living room place between two bookcases... |
This is a photo of Lego Boy at Eucharistic Crusade.
This is Lego Boy's Hand print from the Hospital (2nd class relic?) holding a
rosary made by a little boy in our Catholic Home School group.
No Home Altar is complete without Holy Water!
Our Sacred Heart of Jesus Statue.
Does your family have a Home Altar? Please join the link up so we can share pictures of our Home Altars...I am looking forward to sharing our prayer spaces!
PS Can anyone tutor me in how to host a link up to this post? I haven't a clue! LOL...
Here is the Linky for the Bog Hop: Open until September 30th
http://www.linkytools.com/picturecaption_linky_include.aspx?id=153755
http://trinityacres.blogspot.com/2012/07/our-home-altar.html
http://www.sueelviswrites.com/2012/07/family-altar.html
Karla,
ReplyDeleteYour home altar is so beautiful, so many very special items that would turn your mind to God.
We have a couple of altars. There's a small one in the hallway which can be seen as soon as the front door is opened. There's a statue of Mary, a Sacred Heart picture, some flowers and a candle there. Over the altar is a picture of the Divine Mercy.
The other altar is in the lounge room where we say our family prayers. There are statues of Mary and the Sacred Heart, a crucifix, Rosary beads, photos of my Godchildren and children. pictures of Pope Benedict and Bl John Paul the Great, a candle... hanging on the wall is a photo of Thomas.
"I often place my hand over Lego Boy's handprint and ask for his special intercession, and tell him how much we all miss him!" That is such a beautiful ritual which must keep Lego Boy part of your family. I am sure he is praying for you from heaven!
I don't know anything about linkys, sorry!
Thank you for sharing.
God bless!
Hi Sue...when I figure out the Linky thing, will you do a post about your Home Altar with pix and link up to mine?
DeleteYou may find it gruesome (or maybe not) but we also have a First Class Relic of Lego Boy. The Surgeons had taken a hand size piece of his skull out to relieve the pressure on his brain (Craniotomy)when he first had the brain bleed, and we have it in a special box in our Altar. The Hospital had it in the freezer because they had planned to put it back when Lego Boy recovered, then it was forgotten about until I asked about it! One of the Doctors, who came to his Wake, brought it with her and gave it to us.
Pax Christi!
Karla,
DeleteYes of course I will link up if you work the Linky out! Our altars aren't so beautiful as yours though.
I don't find your relic at all gruesome. Rather, I think it is very special and how glad you must be to have it.
We only have a curl of Thomas' hair. But the gown Thomas was wearing after his death is spotted with his blood and so I treasure it very much. We were told we probably wouldn't get the gown back, but when we went to the funeral home to see Thomas, we were given a plastic bag containing it. It was like an unexpected gift from God. I am sure you understand what I am trying to say!
God bless you!
Hi Sue,
DeleteDid you try the link at the bottom of the post? I need someone to try it to see if it works...if it doesn't I will have to try something new!
I completely understand the blessing of Thomas' gown and curl of hair. I am actually disheartened that when we cut Sanjay's hair before everything went awry, that we didn't keep any hair! That still bothers me...
Karla,
DeleteI tried the link. It works. I just need to take some photos and write a post. I'll see what I can do!
I'm sorry to hear about Sanjay's hair. I have regrets too but I have more than some people so I try not to dwell on them.
God bless. You are in my prayers.
Karla,
DeleteI messed that up! I ended up linking my altar post three times, instead of once. I linked twice to your blog and once to my own. Sorry about that. I don't know how to undo the mistakes!
God bless.
Your home altar is beautiful! I love the artwork on the wall. That is very special that you have Lego Boy remaining with you in that way. For link ups, you can use www.misterlinky.net or www.inlinkz.com to get the linky widgets.
ReplyDeleteHi Kimberlee,
DeleteThank you, and yes, I feel blessed to have Lego Boy with us in a tangible way.
I thought I put on the Linky Blog Hop Widget at he bottom of my post...doesn't it work? I had gone through Mr Linky. Urg...
Thanks Karla for sharing your Home Altar. We don't have a home altar. Rather we have Christian and Catholic items throughout the house. Crucifixes in most rooms, Last Supper in the dining room, Our Lady of Grace statue in the kitchen, Crucifix on my windowsil, Our Lady of Guadelupe in our Mary Garden, St. Joseph statue on my husband's nightstand, Holy Family on Donkey statue in my craft room, and so many more scattered holy art on many walls. There is a reminder no matter where you look, and an obvious sign to visitors that we ARE one of the Faithful Catholics.
ReplyDeleteHi Melissa, Thanks for commenting! Yep,we have all that too ( Catholic items of faith in all rooms) But about 5 years ago I read an article about the importance of the Home Altar in Catholic homes...and it resonated in my soul. So I put an extra special area together...a real focal point in our main living space, and I am SO glad that I did. I is great to have a specific special spot to gather for Family Prayers.
DeleteI am also in the process of putting together a Wall of Saints in our entryway. I got 5x7 prints of actual photos of about 18 Saints/Blesseds and put them together in triple frames, and I need to get individual family photos (saints in the making!) Along with a large crucifix it will be a wonderful display of the "Communion of Saints".I got the idea from a similar display on another blog.
Pax Christi!